Feckenham Forest

Feckenham was once a significant site situated on the ancient Saltway between Alcester and Droitwich (now the B4090). Listed in the Domesday Book as 'fecceham', (Old English meaning Fecca's Ham - a clearing by a stream, or an enclosure or homestead), Feckenham was the centre for lawsuits connected with forests south of the Trent, during the early part of the history of the forest. The courthouse has now disappeared but the site still exists as a moated site near the church.

Feckenham stood in the middle of the forest that bears its name. Around the middle of the twelfth century the forest covered most of Worcestershire -including Bromsgrove, Redditch, Evesham and Pershore. In one direction the forest spread all the way to the city gate (the fore gate) in Worcester and to the north as far as The Lickeys.

After 1300 the forest was reduced in size, until by the sixteenth century it had become little more than a park about thirty four square miles in extent. Around 1608 the crown surveyed all its royal forests and decided to 'disafforest' the Forest of Feckenham. Twenty one years after this decision, Feckenham ceased to be a royal forest and reverted to common land. The crown sold the manor (land) in 1632 to Lord Coventry and the people living in the forest were to be compensated for the loss of their rights under forest law.

Copyright Elizabeth Atkins 2006

Map of Feckenham Forest

map of the historic feckenham forest area

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.